Monday, June 10, 2019

Spring Update

Oh boy. Well, in typical Alex fashion we had a little springtime lull over here. I kind of can't believe I haven't posted in almost two months but then I also kind of can. Definitely have a lengthier spring update for anyone who is still out there—sorry for the radio silence. (This also means I haven't been reading blogs for the last two months for whatever stupid reason since I definitely still love them, so I'll need to catch up on all your lives too.)

Will try to keep the mundane to a minimum, but that's usually my favorite part of life honestly so I expect there will be several boring ass photos to sift through. (The only updates I won't include here are wedding related ones because I'm saving them for another wedding check-in post. I know everyone is SO disappointed.)

Lately Sammy and I have been trying to take more opportunities to do date nights. Back in April (I swear we've had a few more dates since this...) we went to the Crystal Lake Brewery on a Friday after work because they have food truck that comes to their parking lot on Friday nights. We tried some beer, played geographical trivia (because the nerd in our relationship was forced to choose the game, you're welcome), and had some tacos.



Sammy is still incredibly close with his group of friends from high school—I love them and their girlfriends just as much—so we were thrilled to be able to get together with one of them who now lives out of town and came to visit with his new girlfriend back in April. We all met at Gene & Georgetti and it was nice to have a fun "fancy" night out (even though I think their food is mediocre and exorbitantly priced).


We all had many cocktails each and headed over to Barley Corn where the DJ was playing every song I've ever loved from high school and I truly lived my absolute best dancing all night. And wound up with photos like this on my phone of my girlfriend in my lap (and feet out the window) in our Uber. These nights are so good for my soul.


End of April brought us the last of the snow *eye roll* so we spent a cozy Sunday indoors opening the sweetest gift from one of my girlfriends. She gave us a combination housewarming/engagement/getting Henry gift because she wasn't able to make it to our housewarming over the summer.


Henry lived for his present and proceeded to wreck it five minutes later.



These two spent the whole day freaking out about the snow (one loving it, one hating it). This photo is so emo. Nothing like living with the most dramatic men of all time.


Sammy and I had another date night to the Adler Planetarium where we met one of his coworkers and his girlfriend for an adults-only after hours event that was so fun.


I haven't been to the planetarium in years and as a solar system lover/dork, I was puuuumped to go. The museum also lends itself to the loveliest views of the best city ever (even though I can't take good pictures of it). I actually looked at the planetarium as a possible wedding venue but it was a little too pricey for us.


We also had a lot of "firsts" for Henry this spring. He went to Petco for the first time and was decidedly not a huge fan (we think it had too many smells).


He was the fan favorite at the dog park.


We took him to Paradise Pup for hamburgers (that he was pissed he couldn't eat).


And to Mom and Dad's favorite place: Gene & Jude's. 


We brought hot dogs to my mom's house and dyed Easter eggs.


And then this prince got a bath because he did many things all day.


We celebrated Easter the only way our household knows how: by forcing Henry to participate in an Easter egg hunt. ;) I borrowed some plastic eggs from my mom and filled them with a few treats and "hid" them for Henry.


Made him wear these stupid ears.


Sammy had to work Easter, so before he went in for his shift, we took advantage of the gorgeous weather and had breakfast on the patio at Benedicts in downtown CL.


I live for being downtown CL. It has the most perfect small-town, quaint vibe and it always makes me so happy we moved here. We got to people watch and see all the little kids in their Easter clothes and it was such a lovely, quiet morning spent together.


I ordered off the Easter Brunch menu and got crepes with cream cheese scrambled eggs, ham, and asparagus, topped with hollandaise sauce. So delicious.


We came home and played outside with Henry. Tried our luck with him off his leash and he really did so well.


Our 87-year-old Italian neighbor heard us outside and invited us in for more brunch ;) so we had potato casserole and pieces of the 19 frittatas she made. It was really nice to be invited in to her home with her family. They remind me so much of my family and it was nice for Sammy to get some of those family vibes on a holiday.


I took the train to Arlington Heights and went to my mom's for dinner later that afternoon.


My mom made a great meal and my uncle made an unreal chocolate ganache peanut butter cup cheesecake.



We got some hammock time in on warmer days this spring and Henry didn't hate it! which his mother was thrilled about.


We were finally given the go-ahead to move into our new space in our building and we're all so thrilled to finally feel settled. I still want some more decor pieces for my cube which feels rather bland (even though it looks a little different now than it does in these photos).



I've been able to break out other clothes/shoes than just my boots which has felt great! I'm living in slip on mules/sneakers and sandals.


Chelsie and I have been really good about keeping up with our getting together (at least) once a month deal we implemented this year (mostly because of Chelsie who always initiates these plans because I'm the worst friend). Our May get together was a trip to Woodfield Mall (where we spent sooo much time as teenagers) because we needed to run to MAC and H&M. It was super nostalgic to be there eating McDonald's and walking around. I loved it.


I've been snapping pictures all over for the last two months any time I see anything blooming or sprouting out of the ground. This winter was a bit of a killer for me, so any sign of spring has made me stupidly happy, especially this tree that's on my walk/bike home that only bloomed for a few weeks but smelled absolutely incredible.


This spring we got some shitty news about one of my friends who is now currently fighting breast cancer, so our little group of three has been getting together even more now to not only spend time together but to help take her mind off treatments and just c.a.n.c.e.r. in general. So I hosted a movie night at our house where we snacked and watched the second Fantastic Beasts movie (since these are the two ladies responsible for me ultimately succumbing to the bullshit that is Harry Potter ;) ). It was such a nice night to be together (despite this insanely creepy photo).


We celebrated our cousin's baby's baptism/baby naming ceremony (!) where I lived in my jersey jumpsuit from Gap (that I got on clearance for $9) and my camel coat because, I forgot, there was more snow this spring! There was a random freak snowfall at the beginning of May.


I mean, can you even stand it? He is seriously the cutest boy I've ever seen.


I added some necessary decor items to my cube a few weeks ago ;)


In some wedding news (will elaborate more later), we did our cake tasting! Another step we're early on, but she did tell us she'll start to book up for fall of 2020 around this time, so it was good we snagged her. The cake is so good and I'm not a cake person.


I'm so happy to have been able to pack in several girls' nights over the last month. Earlier in May I got together with Tina for some of our favorite food and some prosecco. It reminded me of when we were in high school (sans prosecco) and would hang out and talk for hours. Pure medicine for my soul.


Sammy and I finally saw Avengers (and by finally I mean we saw it like a week after it came out haha. I could barely wait, I wanted to see it so badly!) and really liked it. Now we're anxiously waiting for Toy Story and Lion King.


We finally made it over to my grandma's for a late lunch last month. We spend a lot of time with Sammy's family because they tend to have more get-togethers, especially with younger children added to the family in the last few years, so we have to get a little better (believe me, we still see them a lot haha) at making time for my family, especially my grandma. She talked about having us over for weeks and how much she loved it, so it's always worth making the time.


Especially when we can bring Henry and he can see my mom a.k.a. his favorite person.


We went downtown to watch Sammy's brother graduate from his MBA program. We're so proud of him. He and my SIL have both spent the last year in school while working full-time and raising a child under two years old. I truly don't know how they do it and always seem so cheerful. They're our role models.


And the flowers outside the school were too pretty to not snap a picture of.


We celebrated one of our manager's birthdays last month with a big ol' sheet cake from Costco which is officially my favorite cake of all time. Again, I'm not a cake person (although this post is proving otherwise...) but I really think this cake is the best cake ever. And it's SO cheap for the amount you get. Highly recommend. As much as I love the bakery making our wedding cake, there is a part of me that kind of wants a Costco sheet cake at our wedding ;) I'll have to insist that every shower/wedding occasion includes a Costco cake.


We got advanced copies of the first book I wrote content for at work a few weeks ago and it was SO fun to see the finished product. This was the first book I helped worked on from start to finish and holding it my hands was so awesome.


An incredibly riveting update: this is what my preferred dinners look like when Sammy and I don't eat together. I looove making plates like this.


We celebrated Mother's Day by visiting with Sammy's family and then headed over to my Mom's.



We've done a lot of lounging too.


I finally got my hands on the cauliflower gnocchi from Trader Joe's and you can just throw me in the pile with all the other obsessed bitches. I can't believe I like it as much as I do. So happy I read to bake it instead of cooking it like the package says. I feel like that cooking method is why I like it so much.


The spring/summer has brought out a lot of energy in Henry. Thank god my sister told me the spring/summer results in an increase of testosterone in male dogs who haven't been neutered which can explain why they act out because otherwise I would have thought we were totally screwing up his training. Definitely need to get neutering on the calendar for him in hopes it helps calm him down a little bit haha. And then we're immediately getting a pass to the dog park in town (he needs to be neutered before we can do that) and I'm taking him every day after work haha.


We celebrated National Police Week with some banana muffins and getting Henry some festive gear.


I try to do little things like that for Sammy here and there but it's always nice to have a specific reason to do it. They also take this particular week to honor the fallen officers so while I try to do lighthearted things to show appreciation, it can also be a somber week because it reinforces the reality of his job. So grateful to all those in a line of work that requires they put their own safety at risk.



We celebrated ONE YEAR in our house with the same meal we got on our first night: Boston Market ;) this is something I almost can't wrap my brain around. Would love to do another documenting-type post about this because it's such a special milestone for me.


Henry got his first puppuccino and mostly liked it ;)


We went downtown a few weeks ago to spend the day with Sammy's cousin and his girlfriend (who lives in this STUNNING apartment in the west loop). We spent the afternoon at an art show, had some apps and drinks at Maddie's apartment, and then had dinner at La Scarola. It was such a fun day and night. Definitely need to get more of these dates on the calendar.




We've spent the last few weekends working on the yard. We planted some more "filler" bushes/greenery, planted impatiens in the front as well as some perennial bulbs in the back. Everything is starting to bloom right about now so I'm excited to see how it all looks in a few weeks.


We had our first meal outside which I live for. I would truly eat every meal outdoors if I could.


A new favorite meal option: Sammy's creamy breaded shrimp with the cauliflower gnocchi. Omg to die for.


We also put in new lights to line our walkway, and the builders are finally finishing the faux brick (hence the Tyvek showing in this picture haha) update on the front of our building.


I went to a Cubs game a few weeks ago with my mom and brother, and it was a treat to spend time with them during the week when I normally wouldn't see them.


Of course it had to be like the coldest day of spring but it's fineeeeee.



We celebrated my MOH and sister's 22nd birthday with some vegan desserts before she ditched us to go to some hippie rave ;) Six years younger but she's infinitely more cool than me.



Wandered into Loft during their Memorial Day sale but didn't leave with anything because the only things I really loved they didn't have in my size. I just love that I'm a creature of neutral habits ;)


Truly living for this top and these sweatpants (never felt a softer pair in my LIFE) from Lou & Grey but I didn't order in time and missed the sale, so I'm waiting for them to offer another discount and then I'm snagging them.


The faux lemons are out which means its summer in our house. Haven't done much in way of "decor" but I still may do a post about it? I've been wanting to get over to Savers/GoodWill and TJ Maxx to see if I can find any decor items I like so maybe I'll do that next week.


One of Sammy's birthday presents from me was a Cusinart pizza grilling set, so we finally got that out and used it for the first time a few weekends ago. It was SO good.


Sammy made us some mules and we watched Speed while we ate. Side note: I've never seen that movie all the way through and Sammy LOVES it to like an odd level, so he really wanted me to watch it. It's a dumb movie but I also want to watch it like 8 more times for some reason. I'm having a Keanu moment lately so I think that isn't helping ;)


We took our engagement photos at the end of May and we really love how they turned out. I'll share them in a separate post or in a wedding update soon!


But before the shoot, I got my nails done with my mom (who took the day off to help watch Henry after we took our pictures with him) and then went by her house since she's three minutes from our elementary school which is where we started taking pictures. And I insisted we stop at McDonald's so I could "try" (as though there was even a chance I wouldn't like it smh) their frozen coke and spicy McChicken. Nothing like empty carbs and sugar to start you off right before having your photo taken ;)


My cousin came by to do my makeup and she's one of my favorite humans on planet Earth so I lived for getting to spend time with her.


A sneak peek of the sneak peek our photographer posted on Instagram ;) Can't wait for her blog post to go up.


Another's girls night in the books! Alicia came over to spend some time with me and Henry :) We had lemonade prosecco drinks I made up and ordered Mexican food and talked and I lived for it.


Sammy ran in the police Torch Run (which raises money for special olympics) a few weeks ago and I had to drop him off at his starting location and then pick him up where his leg ended, so I grabbed Henry after I dropped Sammy off to surprise him at his finish line.


This was the first time I drove Sammy's new car (and the first time by myself! which wouldn't be a big deal to most but to this novice driver, it's quite the fete) and it went soo well. Since then I've been driving a lot (well, for me at least haha) and it's been so good for my mental state and relationship with diving in general. I need to send this photo to my therapist ;)

After I picked Sammy up, we went to the picnic after the run for a little while to spend time with other runners/departments from the area that participated.



They had such a nice spread of food and treats for the runners and their families, it was so nice! And we made out like bandits with ice cream tokens from Culvers and Julie Ann's (an amazing custard place in town) as well as gift certificates from the raffle to local restaurants.


We celebrated our niece's SECOND birthday last week and we can't believe she's already two. Unreal. My SIL put together a "two sweet" theme and all the fruit decor was so cute.


For the girl who has everything, we were kind of at a loss on what to get her until Sammy thought of getting her an easel since she's starting to get into drawing. With it we got her more chalk (the other side is a chalkboard), paint, brushes, and a monogrammed smock from Etsy.


Over this past weekend, Sammy asked a few of his coworkers to be groomsmen! (We're at the tail end of that process, he just has two more coworkers to go and then our whole bridal party will be officially set!). He said one of them almost started crying and I literally can not with that man I love him so much. Can't wait to do all the things with this group of ours.


Yesterday my mom and I went downtown to have high tea at The Drake. But before our reservation, we stopped into BHLDN and Bloomingdales to look at bridal accessories and special occasion dresses.


My mom and I decided we're living for this cape moment. So ya girl may be looking for a cape which is incredibly be extra but hello, have we met? I'm here for a the drama.


Truly can't wait for my mom to find her dress. I'm (almost ;) ) more excited for her and all my ladies to find their dresses than when I found my own. She rarely gets to wear special occasion dresses so I'm really excited for her to find something she loves.


This deep red velvet number caught her eye and now I don't want her to pick anything other than velvet. I'm obsessed.


For Mother's Day, I gifted my mom high tea at The Drake. We both love the high tea experience but have never done it together (or at least not in the last decade), so our new tradition is going to be working our way around the city doing all the high teas at the fancy hotels :)



The Drake is the least expensive option downtown at $49 per person and I think what you get for that price is really reasonable, especially adding in the atmosphere (there was a live harpist too!) and service. It didn't beat LadurĂ©e in Paris, but...what can? ;)



I think that about does it for my "updates." Writing this has made me realize there are some other posts I want to write which feels good. Sometimes this space (the blogging world in general) feels a little stale because it's so saturated with people but whenever I remember I'm doing this (mostly) for me, it always pushes me to keep it up. I love having this page as a place I can come back to and reread old posts and see how our lives have changed and grown but also stayed the same.

Can't wait to reconnect with the friends I've made in this world! Thanks for reading. xo

2 comments:

  1. I read this all the way through. I've missed your blog posts so I loved this update. It looks like you've had a really busy but fun Spring! :)

    I'm so sorry to hear about friend's cancer diagnosis. My thoughts and prayers are with her!

    Amy @ https://befilledwithj0y.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, hi, Amy! Thanks for saying that! We have and it's definitely been fun!

      I will tell her you said that—thank you so much. xo

      Delete