Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Christmas 2018

Back with some mid-week Christmas stuff, friends. 'Cause that's what everyone wants to reminisce about in the middle of February (yes, I'm already claiming it's the MIDDLE okay?) when we're all sick of the temps and snow, right?

I know, me either. But I do want to document all this stuff, especially since it was our first Christmas in our home. SO bare with me, thanks.

Starting with the 22nd because I forever want to milk Christmas for all it's worth. Sammy and I hosted "Cugini Christmas" this year because some cousins hadn't seen our house or Henry yet, and because we knew we wanted to ask all of them to be in our bridal party while they were under the same roof. 

I got to use Sammy's grandma's Christmas china (I used it for every meal throughout this week because I love it so much) and a beautiful tablecloth his mom gave me (that I believe is from Italy). It's a little more formal of a tablescape than I would normally put together, but Sammy insisted on a tablecloth to protect the table *eye roll* and it's Christmas and Christmas can be fancy, OK?


Since I was only one day out from having bi-lateral stents put in, I was feeling off and not like myself and on a bunch of medications so I didn't want to be drinking a ton of alcohol, but I still wanted to serve something festive (and partake in a little bit of it). So I did the cranberry prosecco cocktails with a sprig of rosemary in each glass and loved how festive it looked.


I made homemade gravy and pasta and served it with meatballs and Italian sausage and a big salad. Thankfully I had planned to keep the meal simple (and cousins brought over apps and desserts) from the beginning because I wouldn't have been able to cook much more with the way I was feeling this day.


We always do a gift exchange together—the ladies with the ladies and guys with the guys. I always end up with something awesome, this year it was a coffee coconut exfoliating scrub and a body butter I've been using obsessively lately. The guys do a beer exchange and end up with a cool new six pack to try.


Sammy's cousins brought us the sweetest housewarming gifts—I swear, their taste is just the best. I've been wanting to try this Anthropologie candle forever, so I'm so happy to get the chance now!


They know my love of peppermint and think I'm cool enough to have a Nest candle. 


Our cousins recently moved to Alabama, so it's the BEST when they're home with us. And look at the sweetest face of all (not an Alabama resident, thank GOD).


It was a great night to be together and we loved having them in our home. Of course I forgot to take a picture of them opening their bridal party gifts which is so annoying but they were excited and I loved, loved getting to ask them. They're truly some of my favorite people on earth.


On the 23rd, which is my brother's birthday, we made our annual trip to Dinkel's with my parents. This is a tradition we started with my dad but this year my mom came too and I know she loved being included. 

We got our German stolen and some treats to have that morning and we were on our way breakfast to celebrate Anthony's birthday.


We went to a Swedish restaurant he loves (I believe in Lincoln Square) and I got eggs and corn beef hash and loved it.


We went and picked Henry up since Sammy was working and brought him back to my mom's house so he could hang out with us while we had dinner, pie, and opened gifts.


These two guys, I can't handle them. I am forever surrounded by the best men on earth.


Including this boy who thinks he's a lap dog and wouldn't leave my 84-year-old grandmother alone ;)


I snapped this picture on Christmas Eve morning because I just couldn't get enough of how our tree looked at different times throughout each day.


Since Sammy worked Christmas Day, we decided to start a new tradition to be used on the years when he works Christmas morning. I surprised him with breakfast on Christmas Eve and he surprised me with breakfast on the 26th (since that's when we were celebrating Christmas just us).


I had taken Henry out that morning and gotten the mail we didn't get from the day before and loved more than anything the only mail we got were Christmas cards! So we opened all of them as we ate.


I made Sammy Cinnabon cinnamon rolls and an egg casserole because the man loves his sweets and literally eats a dozen eggs a week.



I loved this morning so much. It was so fun to do something festive but also low key before all the hustle and bustle of the next two days started up.


This guy did so much napping from like the 23rd to the 27th haha. He had so much interaction every day for like a week straight so he napped any chance he got.


See? ;)
And I loved being able to use the fireplace downstairs this year, even if we did only use it once.


Had to snap a picture before we left for Sammy's parents house for Christmas Eve dinner.


We asked Sammy's brother, SIL, and our niece to be in our bridal party earlier in the evening and then I asked four of his cousins to be bridesmaids and that was so, so fun for me to do.



Sammy's mom always does a fabulous job with Christmas Eve (and I'm sure she sleeps for three days afterward—it's so much work!). It's one of my favorite nights of the year. We do the feast of the seven fishes and it's always delicious.


I couldn't handle this sweet boy on his first Christmas.


And someone I may or may not be marrying next year made an appearance as Santa and I about lost my shit at the cuteness.


Our niece was a little apprehensive but gave him a hug in the end ;) and James couldn't have been more chill, per usual.


We picked Henry up from my mom's and he fell asleep almost immediately after spending an evening romping around with my mom's dog and my sister's dog.


We got home after midnight and I felt so bad Sammy had to get up the next morning to work. He only got a few hours of sleep, but he was able to make it up later that night at my mom's after Christmas dinner ;)

Henry and I officially woke up a few hours after Sammy left and spent some time lounging in bed.


And Sammy came by while he was on his shift which was nice.


Still got our Christmas morning selfie in!


Christmas morning views.


Henry and I lounged around and I put together Sammy's stocking since he was out of the house and we wouldn't be opening them until the next day.



I went upstairs at some point and when I came back down Henry was napping on the couch. For some I was compelled to just sit down with my coffee and take the entire scene in. I was overcome with emotion in that moment, so thankful and proud of everything we've accomplished in the last half a year. Our home is exactly what I envisioned, especially as a kid, and I couldn't be happier to be where we are.


Later that afternoon, Henry and I went for a walk and then I came upstairs to shower and do a face mask while sitting by the tree upstairs. Christmas Day was similar to Thanksgiving in that in past years, I'd never spent that much time alone on a holiday, and even though it was kind of weird, there was something really lovely in the solace of it all.


Sammy came home around 3 p.m. and we all got ready (Henry got to put on his Christmas bow tie) before heading over to my mom's for Christmas dinner.


I love how traditional my mom's Christmas table always looks.




She served a wonderful pork roast with cranberry relish and a bunch of vegetable sides that were excellent.


We took our little family photo :)


We left around 10 p.m. which was a little early for us since my family usually hangs around until after midnight, but Sammy was tired from not getting a ton of sleep the night before and I was a few days post stent implant, so I wasn't feeling super hot either and was OK with getting home to rest. 

We took a selfie in our new pajamas my grandma gave us and I sent it to my mom so she could show my grandma ;)


The next morning it was Sammy's turn to make me breakfast, so I stayed in bed with Henry and did a little reading while he cooked. BLISS.



He made me the biggest snowman pancake ever! He's made me several shaped pancakes before (Rudolph is still my very favorite) and I always love seeing what he'll try next.



Had to get a quick family selfie before we started opening gifts since this was our "Christmas morning."


Henry opened his gifts first ;) because I figured they would help keep him occupied.



Sammy got me several things I asked for like fuzzy socks, wireless headphones, and a bath pillow. But he also got me this awesome new vanity mirror and Dr. Jart face masks and a Kiehls lip treatment which was so sweet. I loved that he picked stuff out like that on his own.


He wanted to start an ornament tradition where we get each other an ornament each year, so I got him this super sentimental one which I don't think will be the case each year. I LOVE how it turned out and he really liked it as well. And he got me a very cute Little Mermaid one ;)



He had to work that afternoon, so I spent some quiet time upstairs while Henry napped. Glorious views.


In the most glorious clothes ;) everything stretchy, yes MA'AM.


It was a really wonderful holiday in our first home. It's amazing now that I look back at these pictures, I've almost completely forgotten how much pain I was in and how uncomfortable I was for a few weeks there (which I know sounds like nothing and could have been soooo so much worse). I really tried to not let the discomfort overshadow the holidays and it's nice to realize that it really didn't, especially within my own memories.

I was worried this year's set of holidays would be exciting and then all the holidays after would kind of pale in comparison, at least before we have kids, but I was really excited to come to realization that I think they're going to get better and better each year. This year we were kind of finding our groove with everything (decorating, traditions, each other, etc.,) and even though that came relatively naturally, I think we're in for some good stuff next year and the years to come. 

Thanks for reading today, if you made it this far. I know this is super outdated and overdue, but it's too big of a holiday not to "formally" recap. 

Thanks, thanks. xo

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I didn't know you had a procedure done. I hope you're back to normal now! Love those snowman pancakes he made you. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! & thank you!! Doing much better. Right? Pretty cute ;)

      Delete
  2. I loved reading every word of this recap. What a fun and special holiday season! I hope you're feeling better after your surgery.

    Amy @ https://befilledwithj0y.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, it sounds like you had an incredible Christmas. I am so glad you took the time to recap the big days of the holiday. Have you fully recovered from your surgery? Do they know why at such a young age you're experiencing so many issues? Have you guys decided on your honeymoon location yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did! I have, thankfully. Feeling really good which is wonderful. Haven't been able to crack the case on that yet, but hopefully soon. We are definitely in the brainstorming phase, but the Italian and French Riviera are high on the list!

      Delete

  4. Sweet recap. It is never too late for acknowledging family & love!

    Also: Sammy Clause 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg SO cute re: Sammy Claus! But totally agree. Always have to acknowledge the love!

      Delete