Friday, February 15, 2019

A (Post-New Years) Friday Favorites/Life Update

If you've been reading along (bless you), you know I've been trying to clear out my camera roll. I recapped Christmas and some misc. Christmas and New Years "favorites" earlier this week, so to finish off the catching up, I'm including all the post-New Years "favorites" today, which is really me doing a photo dump/life lately type thing. Get ready for some randomness, people.

There was a point after the New Year when I was tired of eating super heavy meals (that lasted about as long as you can expect it did), so I made this kind of snacky type plate for dinner one night when Sammy ate out and I didn't have to cook for both of us. (Honestly, if I lived alone, I would eat like this or have a bowl of cereal most nights haha.) I loved it. I've dropped the ball on it, but I definitely want to start doing it again, especially as the weather starts to warm up.


We've hit a little snag in moving to our newly renovated floor at work, so we've all been bouncing around in different areas of our old floor or working from home. It's added a little stress to daily life in the office, but it will be so worth it once we're all in our new space! 


I don't know, man. If this doesn't make you smile, I can't help you. This kid goes beyond "favorite."


One of my coworkers gave Henry a hedgehog toy and he loves it. Another reminder of how sweet my coworkers are.


At the beginning of January, Sammy and I (mostly Sammy during the day, I helped a tiny bit after work before her parents came home) watched our niece and Sammy brought Henry with. He's super sweet with kids which is definitely a favorite to watch (even though we had to keep him on a leash because he's still a puppy and love to lick ;) ). 


We had a belated Christmas celebration with my dad's family at the beginning of January. We haven't seen that side of the family since we got engaged, so that was fun.


This guy continued to be the cutest boy of all time.


I remembered how much I love a runny egg on butter soaked toast.


This boy decided our arm chair is his favorite.


I stayed at my mom's house the night before my surgery because Sammy had to work the next day and I needed someone to take me to and from the hospital. My mom is the real MVP and offered to take me and since the hospital is way closer to her, I just stayed at her house.

My sister has since taken over my old room, so I have to sleep with my mom when I stay at her house. (Which might be a weird thing for some people but I definitely love it.) Our family dog sleeps with her and it was definitely a favorite getting to cozy up to him that night.


My super fun and TMI "update" to my girlfriends via Snapchat. Not a favorite except for the fact that I have girlfriends who care how I'm doing and want updates on me. That's most definitely a favorite.


 My godmother gifted us an InstantPot for Christmas so I made meatloaf and potatoes in it the first week we had it. I loved the meatloaf. Really surprised it came out as good as it did. It also makes great rice.


This boys other favorite as of late: windows. Big fan of windows.



Another super cute self-care package my sister got me for Christmas arrived last month.


Sammy made fantastic chili in the InstantPot. Like I was obsessed. He thought it was terrible, I'm not sure how, but I was a big fan and ate it all week.


Sammy's off days fell on the weekends last month and it was so nice to spend time together when our schedules actually lined up. There was one particular Saturday that was a big favorite of mine. We ran errands and then stopped at Around the Clock which is a diner right near our house that I've been wanting to try. Even though we filled our day with seemingly mundane tasks, we were just enjoying each other's company so much this day. I still think about it.




We had friends over for dinner the night before and they brought us a beautiful orchid and bottle of whiskey and prosecco as a housewarming gift.


We tried out our popcorn machine for the first time last month and LOVED it. I can die happy now.


Someone else loved it too.


My parents and siblings came over one Sunday in January so we could finally exchange Christmas gifts with my dad. I made chili and cornbread and we did a chili bar with toppings. 



Henry got another adorable Pupbox (which I thought I cancelled...)


And took his new ball under the table with him for his nap.


My mom gifted me these aromatherapy slippers for my birthday this year from Uncommon Goods and I finally got around to using them one super cold day. They're amazing. You pop the inserts in the microwave and place them back in the slippers before you put them on. They smell like lavender and are wonderful.


 Another one of this guy's favorites: remotes. Big fan of remotes too.


I used this recipe to make tomato soup on a particularly cold night. I wanted to use up some leftovers we had so I added leftover chili to it to bulk it up for Sammy. And I used leftover black beans and green chiles to make "Mexican" grilled cheese sandwiches. Sammy said it was the best he's ever had which was a high compliment.


Between the polar vortex and our move at work, we were told to work from home for several days throughout January, so I had more time to cook which I took advantage of. I made a creamy chicken pasta dish one night...


and a makeshift apple cobbler several nights...


A 5-ingredient yogurt pasta with caramelized onions—a recipe I saw on Cup of Jo. SO good.


And a chicken and "dumplings" crockpot recipe that was just so so.


Doing a lot of engagement picture dreamin'...

  


 As well as a lot of honeymoon dreamin'.


This was my view many a day I worked from home:


 And if my friend's dog isn't your favorite, idk what is.


Speaking of, I met up with her and another former coworker a few Saturdays ago in downtown Woodstock for lunch and to wander around the local bookstore.


 I loved seeing our books on the shelves!

  

We stopped by her new house afterward and it's as cute and lovely as one would expect a graphic designer's house to be.


 

 Her husband made that gorgeous green door for outside their bathroom, it's fine, really.


We've continued our tradition of lounging around on Saturday and Sunday mornings which I'm super grateful for. I live for that time together before the hustle of the day gets going or before Sammy leaves for work.



 Will never tire of watching these two play "animals."


 Or of Sammy's grandma's homemade focaccia.


A favorite, when this guy is OVER me taking pictures of him ;)


This is so dumb, I had to include it. Sammy worked every single night of the polar vortex meaning he was out in thirty degrees below zero temps so when he came home, I wanted him to have warm clothes to change into. DON'T ASK ME why I thought putting his socks in front of the vent (where hot air was blasting) balancing on random objects was the smart and productive way to go because IT WASN'T. I was too lazy to bring them downstairs to throw in the dryer. Needless to say, he didn't have warm socks to come home to. #WorstFutureWife


Meanwhile, the next morning we ended up with snow and ice all along our door and window frames.



And this fan favorite photo was taken.


And we took some dorky family selfies on said "cold day."


 And some posed photos ;)


That night Chelsie bravely came over to have bowls of hot soup and some grilled cheese sandwiches. We're putting at least one night per month on the calendar to ensure we see each other every month, which we usually do, but this way we won't be able to forget or let it slip through the cracks.


More wedding inspiration via Pronovias's Instagram. My favorite designer right now.


The other day I came home from work and it was still light out. And even though it only remained light out for a few minutes after I was home, I was SOOO happy about it. This winter has been a tough one, man. This self proclaimed hater of 90 degree days and humidity is going to be a little kinder to summer this year.


We celebrated Sammy's birthday a few days early last weekend with his family. I went a little ham on the decorations so I didn't put everything I bought out (def need to make some returns to Target...) because I didn't want it to look like a kid's birthday party haha.



It was tight (yo girl had to sit on a stool at the counter...) but I couldn't love having everyone over more.




 Someone had a helper opening gifts.


Sammy got the original Nintendo for his birthday so after our families left, he made us some moscow mules and we played Donkey Kong Country. Definitely one of my favorite date nights we've done in a long time.


 And this guy napped 'cause he had a long day ;)


We hosted some friends for Superbowl which was really fun. It was sooo nice to not have to leave the house haha. We had wings, buffalo cauliflower, pizza, and ham sliders that turned out so well.


Not all of Sammy's friends could make it, but the ones that could, were asked to be groomsmen which was SO fun.


Some of my favorite men. Sammy seriously couldn't have picked better guys to stand up with him/us. I'm as emotional about them as I am my own bridesmaids haha. Note the dogs wrestling below ;)



 Our friends brought us an engagement gift that I love, love, love.


Sammy stayed up after everyone left and I went up to see if I could get a little reading in before calling it a night. I always love being in bed before him when he's home—it's such a nice time to unwind by myself.


Last week I got ramen with my coworkers for lunch. This picture is simply another reminder of how sweet they are. Forever including me which I so appreciate.


I've been trying to find myself a "bride" shirt which makes me want to gaggggg but I still kind of want one and I stumbled upon these bachelorette party shirts with quotes from The Office on them. Omg I'm obsessed haha.


Sammy's actual birthday was in the middle of last week and he had to work, but he was able to come home for dinner which I was so happy about. I made him what he requested for dinner (steak, potatoes, corn on the cob, salad) and he opened his presents on his break.

But I ended up going into work later this morning (they were working on the pipes and asked us to come in once the water was running again) so I had extra time to make birthday pancakes for him with the help of a very serious sous chef. I made them and left them on the stove so they'd be ready when he woke up.


I got a bone-in ribeye per the suggestion of my uncle who's a chef and made a compound butter using salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and shallots which was OUTSTANDING. I swear to god, I could have compound butter on literally everything. We had some leftover Italian bread from Sammy's birthday celebration with his family and I slathered those pieces with this butter and about died. It could have been my entire meal. Fully plan on keeping shallots in the house just to make compound butter. ANYWAY, Sammy said this steak was the best he's ever had and I was really surprised at how easy it was to make. I'm intimidated by steak because I don't eat it, so I always think cooking it will be difficult but this was really fun to do actually. And I would eat this one all day.


Not super thrilled I made him take a picture but he needed a picture on his birthday! Not pictured: a candle I stuck inside a potato because he said he would be too full to have a piece of cake (he always eats Portillo's chocolate cake on his birthday and we had like half a cake leftover from his family party). Stuck it in a potato. 'Cause everyone needs a wish.


On Monday night we went to the Bulls game which is our annual winter date night because my mom always gets him tickets for either Christmas or his birthday.

One of our childhood friend's parents own an Italian restaurant right near the United Center and she offered to treat us to a celebratory engagement meal which was insanely generous and nice of her. We don't go out a ton just because of our schedules not always lining up, so this was a real treat.

And I swear I could live on baguette and champagne. And compound butter ;)


I got the cavatelli which was amazing and super fresh, and Sammy got the NY strip which he seemed to really like. We also split calamari that was pretty good as well.



 We take pictures of the same things every time we go to a game. We're like little kids.


Sammy gets so jacked up about going to the Bulls games. And I really love them too, but I really love watching how happy they make him. It never fails to bring a huge smile to his face. I love watching life through his eyes.


"Maybe we'll register for Bulls tickets." You heard it here, friends. Don't be surprised if you see Bulls tickets on our wedding registry.


And another wedding related "favorite"... I'm seriously digging the classic/Calvin Klein vibe of this dress I tried on last weekend. It wasn't the one I initially marked a contender with the Kleinfeld one but I'm seriously digging it every time I scroll past it in my camera roll. 


Chelsie sent me a valentine in the mail and you would have thought I won the lottery. It's SO cute. I will never tire of getting snail mail.


My dad and I got BBQ for dinner this week from The Texan BBQ in Algonquin and Sammy and I have decided we'll definitely go back. I got the brisket and really enjoyed it, but they have an extensive menu so there's plenty I want to try.

(They forgot my mashed potatoes so I had to make some instant ones we had at home, so I definitely want to try theirs next time we go.)


I got so many sweet Valentines from my coworkers yesterday. Look how cute!


And I came home to this lovely treat. He had gotten me something else and the company messed up the order and randomly just cancelled it, so he went out yesterday and got me something else which I thought was so sweet. I got a bunch of bath products to try out inside that bag and the loveliest card. He writes the loveliest notes to me. It's my favorite.

We didn't get to spend dinner together, but we spent some time together in bed talking and laughing before we fell asleep which is my favorite part of living with this guy.


 And Sammy sent me this last night. Are you kidding me or what?


Whew that was a lot of stuff guys. But now my camera roll is cleared out!

Been looking forward to this weekend for a while now: a full day of bonding with my favorite ladies tomorrow during the wine crawl and then spending time with my mom and siblings at her house in the evening. And a baby shower on Sunday to fulfill some much needed cousin time with my other loves.

Going home tonight to pack an overnight bag, have some quality time with my Henry, and wait for our guy to come home. And read! (I'm currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing and, you guys, it's as good as they say. Absolutely masterful.) And sleeping in tomorrow! BLISS.

Have a great weekend, you guys! xo

2 comments:

  1. We love going to Bulls games, we can't wait to take our girls next month! Also, your "snack" dinner is totally how I eat when my husband is gone, that or cereal, just like you said! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I can't wait to take kids to games! So fun!! Right?! Why can't they get on board with this kind of eating? ;) Thanks, lady! xo

      Delete