Wednesday, August 29, 2018

What's Up Wednesday?


What We're Eating This Week
Started off the week by making these chicken meatball subs from BH&G. They didn't look as gorge as these, but Sammy said they were better than any meatball sub he's had in a restaurant which is now the highlight compliment of my life.


And on the complete opposite end, we're also utilizing frozen meals from Aldi haha. I had an eye doctor appointment right after work yesterday, so I only had about twenty minutes between getting home and having to leave again, but I wanted to get something ready for Sammy for dinner since he was working. Made this in ten minutes and left it on the stove for him. Piece of cake.


My grandma made us a big batch of gravy with zucchini and sausage in it, and we've been using it up since Saturday. I threw some frozen ravioli on the stove, added this gravy, and it was perfection. 


And Sammy has been eating tomato salads (I add white onion and cucumber to some chopped tomatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It's better when you let it sit in its juices and get real chilled in the fridge--Sammy loves dipping Italian bread in the juice.) left and right this week. 

This is the ONE tomato we got this summer hahaha. We have a few others on the vine but they're still green. It's embarrassing how proud we are of this little guy. And Sammy acted like it was the best tomato he had ever eaten ;)


What I'm Reminiscing About
Being in school. Watching all the kiddos go back as had me reminiscing about my own childhood. Sleeping in my childhood bedroom this weekend didn't help ;)

What I'm Loving
I'm loving that our breeder has been sending us pictures of Henry ever since we officially picked him out. She emailed me a picture of one of her sons holding him and a picture from a trip to the vet and I'm living for it. 8 days!


What We've Been Up To
Getting ourselves ready for Henry! His collar and name tag were delivered this week, and we're looking to order the rest of his stuff soon. Next week we'll do a quick sweep of the house and "puppy proof" anything that he could get into and get rid of stuff that could be harmful to him.

What I'm Dreading
This beautiful human has been battling brain cancer for the last year and he's taken a turn for the worse this week. Definitely dreading losing this major presence in Sammy's family.


What I'm Working On
We've definitely slowed when it comes to house projects. We've decided to save our bathroom floors and backsplash in the kitchen as projects for 2019, but we've each been doing little things this week. I bought six fabric storage bins (for like $15 on Amazon!) for the shelf in my closet and have been loving the uniformed, clean look. While we don't plan on doing anymore "major" projects this year (except maybe getting my bedroom furniture from my mom's house into our guest room...), I plan on doing some organizational projects like this throughout the house. Our pantry/closet downstairs could use some help, as could our karate closet in the basement.


And Sammy has been working on this equipment unit for all his gear. They have these DIYs on Pinterest, but building from scratch seemed like it would be too much work quite frankly. So I suggested he find a bathroom vanity that had a towel rod he could hang his vest from. So he bought a white one, painted it black, and of course customized it with his last name. He can charge his stuff on there, hang his gear, lock up the unsafe stuff, and display his academy certificates and other stuff from when he was a trooper in WI. I think it turned out awesome (and now his stuff doesn't wind up on our bedroom floor!).


What I'm Excited About
I think it goes without saying that bringing this guy home is the most exciting thing to us right now (and possibly ever ;) ).

What I'm Watching/Reading
I'm currently obsessed with all things To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Watched it again this past weekend. If you haven't, WATCH. I urge you.


And reading? You guessed it. As Victoria Aveyard said on Twitter, I "mainlined" the To All the Boys I've Loved Before series in like two days. Then I went and read Jenny Han's "summer" series in two days (highly recommend). And am now back on my YA kick, reading books by her buddies Morgan Matson and Siobhan Vivian.

I read Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian last week...


and just finished Amy and Roger's Epic Detour yesterday.


While I enjoyed both, with a preference to Morgan Matson's voice (definitely checking out her other stuff next), nothing compares to Jenny Han's stuff. TOO good. I'm obsessed with her.

What I'm Listening To
I've been listening to Aloe Blacc's "Brooklyn in the Summer" and Mike Shinoda's (of Linkin Park) "Crossing the Line" on repeat lately.


What I'm Wearing
I've been wearing a lot of easy stuff lately as the temps have crawled back up to the high 80s/low 90s.  Jumpsuits and easy dresses. But today we're down to the 70s! So I'm embracing my pointe pants and light sweater today. Pumped about swapping my sandals for loafers soon ;)


What I'm Doing This Weekend
I look forward to this weekend all year long haha. Our favorite Italian fest happens this weekend and knowing we have Monday off makes the whole weekend better. Our plans will obviously be dependent on how Sammy's grandpa is doing, but as of now, plans include attending a former coworker's baby naming service at their temple, hitting up the Taste of Melrose, a little Henry prep, relaxing, and spending time with family. I was thinking of maybe convincing my family to help me move my furniture from my mom's house (I would love if this was done before Henry comes home) buttt it may be too last minute. 

What I'm Looking Forward to Next Month
SO much. Obviously having Henry home with us is number one, but I'm also looking forward to decorating the house for Fall, going to Sammy's coworkers wedding, girl's night, and prepping for Paris!

the perfection that is Jessica Garvin
What Else Is New
Just excited for the new season approaching, but that's really not new since I basically spend the entire year waiting for Fall ;)

Bonus Q: What's Your Favorite Back to School Tradition?
We didn't have many back to school traditions (that I can remember) which makes me a little sad haha. As a kid, my favorite back to school related thing was definitely school supply shopping. OH man, I loved that. I loved picking everything out from the list that was sent to our house, and then I would go home and take everything out of it's packaging, write my name on it, organize and pack it all up. Forever a #mom even at like age 9. 

Have to mention that I love Andrea's back to school traditions and fully plan to execute similar ideas when I have kids of my own.




That's all for me! Happy Wednesday, all! xo

2 comments:

  1. That pumpkin patio picture (3 p's..ha!) is everything!!!
    Paris? I'm so behind on things. I hope you have a great time prepping and traveling!!!!

    ReplyDelete